Heartworm Preventative Facts
Protecting your pet from heartworms is vital to their health. All dogs and cats are at risk for heartworms and intestinal parasites. Heartworms are carried by mosquitoes and injected into the bloodstream, where they can multiply and cause damage to the heart and blood vessels. Left untreated, the disease will cause heart failure and death in dogs and cats.
Heartworm preventive also protects against intestinal parasite infections such as roundworms and hookworms. These parasites can be transmitted to your other pets, and also to your human family members.
Heartworm preventive is available from our onsite pharmacy during normal business hours. Our products are competitively priced, and are comparable to PetMeds.com.
We offer a variety of preventative options including:
- Heartgard—Monthly chewable, given every 30 days all year round
- Proheart—6-month injectable for quality protection and convenience
- Trifexis—Monthly tablet, also prevents flea infestations
- Iverheart—Monthly tablet, generic option available
- Revolution—Topical for cats to prevent fleas, worms, and ear mites
More details regarding heartworm preventive facts and intestinal parasites can be found on our Heartworm Preventive Facts Handout.
For more information about Heartworm disease and the importance of prevention, check out Dr. Quigley’s article featured in Metropet Magazine.